I usually design my own Christmas decoration for the year, but this year I’m feeling a bit uninspired. Sometimes it’s nice to try out somebody else’s pattern. I usually learn a lot. I found this really cute but also semi-realistic robin pattern from furls and thought I’d give it a go.
I used the cotton amigurumi yarn from the Aldi multi pack, and a 3.5mm hook.
As always, all mistakes are mine, and not the fault of the pattern!
I love this pattern, but there are a LOT of colour changes. As you can see, I’ve fluffed some of them up (compare left side to right side of face).
First I tried doing them by just carrying the threads along on the wrong side, but they soon started pulling the head out of shape. Then I just cut and knotted the threads to join, as I didn’t fancy weaving that many ends in. That worked ok, although you have to be careful not to pull too hard when tying the knots, or you end up with a very small stitch.
I didn’t try carrying all the threads within the crochet as I was worried the colours I wasn’t using would show through.
I was a bit confused about what was going on with the start of the wing pattern.
With color A, ch 2
1. 5 sc in 2nd ch from hook (5)
2 sc in 1st sc, TURN leaving remaining 4 sts unworked, 2 sc in 1st sc, sc in next 3 sc, TURN
In the transition from row 1 to row 2, you carry on around the initial ring of 5 stitches, as if you were crocheting in the round.
My robin’s beak ended up a bit more like a duck, so I might try a different way of doing that next time.
It took me about 3 hours to complete. I think it’s really cute, and will have a go at some more.